Pali to Puamana Parkway (Realignment of Honoapi‘ilani Highway) Master Plan
||County of Maui, Department of Planning
||Planning & Permitting, Civil Engineering
[nggallery id=44 template=carousel images=3]
RMTC prepared a Master Plan which featured relocation of the Honoapi‘ilani Highway for the purposes of creating an open space preserve along the highway corridor. This Master Plan provided the foundation for the establishment of public policy through a Community Plan amendment that will encourage responsible development in the coastal area by acknowledging physical coastal processes. In addition, the Master Plan provided for community recreational needs and supported sustainable alternative land uses.
RMTC provided the following services:
- Conducted data gathering and research of transportation facilities, archaeological resources, open space, land use, infrastructure, land assessment, and drainage and flooding.
- Analyzed opportunities and constraints within the study area from Ukumehame to Launiupoko.
- Generated alternative alignments that will avoid the impact of coastal wave action, accommodate future growth, and result in “linear coastal park” concept.
- Developed alternative alignments from Ukumehame to Launiupoko with varying land use arrangements and visual qualities.
- Evaluated the conceptual feasibility of the alignments.
- Conducted a workshop with community members, landowners, developers and government agencies to identify issues related to the alternatives.
- Developed a Master Plan to illustrate the new road alignment, park land uses, and private land uses.
- Prepared an Environmental Assessment that supported the proposed land use changes.
- Prepared Community Plan Amendments and Change in Zone Applications for the areas designated for open space and park use.